Radon can be found all over the United States. Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air you breathe. It can get into any type of building—homes, offices, and schools—and result in a high indoor radon level. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home, where you spend most of your time. You can’t see radon. And you can’t smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon exposure. Do not rely on radon test results taken in other homes in the neighborhood to estimate the radon level in your home. Homes which are next to each other can have completely different radon levels.
To learn more about radon, visit the EPA website.